APTA provides a wide range of programs and initiatives that serve to promote safety throughout the public transportation industry and to APTA’s members. These include APTA Safety Management Programs, Safety Standards, Safety Audits and Peer Reviews. Further, APTA provides other safety-related resources to members including: sessions at the APTA Mobility, Rail and Annual Meeting conferences; Monthly Safety Spotlight webinars; outreach to Federal partners regarding rules, regulations and guidance; and a yearly Mid-year Safety Seminar. Additionally, members gain extensive knowledge through the collaboration sites of our safety committees and forums.
- APTA Safety Management Audit Programs
- Peer Review Panels
- Standards Program
- Bus & Rail Safety & Security Excellence Awards
- Commemorating 100 Years of Safety Innovation
- Bus Safety Committee
- Commuter Rail Safety & Security Subcommittee
- Rail Safety Committee
Note: Committees are for APTA members only. If interested in joining an APTA safety commitee, please submit a Committee Interest Form and the appropriate APTA staff member will contact you.
- Expansion of Federal Regulations for the Federal Transit Administration under MAP-21
- Implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS)
- Emergency Management programs and practices being developed by the Emergency Preparedness Technical Forum
- Expanded use of technology within transit
- Implementing a transit safety culture