The American Public Transportation Association is hosting its 20th Annual Photo Invitational to recognize amazing images of public transportation in action.
This is a great opportunity to showcase your favorite photos in front of thousands of others in the industry. Send us your best, high-resolution photos of customers using public transportation in your community and your fellow co-workers involved in your organization’s mission.
Whether it is creating more livable communities, enhancing mobility, providing access to diverse populations, building transit oriented developments, supporting a state of good repair, or one of the many other benefits public transportation provides North America (such as environmental benefits, economic vitality, or energy independence) we have a great story to tell – and we need your help to tell it.
New this year, the 12 winners of the 2020 Photo Invitational will have their selected photos honored as APTA “Photos of the Month.” Each winning public transportation image will be given a month-long “takeover” of APTA’s communication channels, in the following ways:
- Featured on APTA’s website as photo of the month
- Featured on APTA’s Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts as photo of the month
- Featured in Passenger Transport as photo of the month
We’ll also include winners in an industry announcement, and feature them in APTA’s headquarters photo gallery.
The deadline for entering is Tuesday, November 12, 2019. All photos must be submitted via our online entry form. You must be logged into the website to complete the form. Don’t have an APTA account yet? Anyone can register for a free account on our website.
If you have questions, please email Stephen Kendrick.
How to Take a Winning Photo
Winning photos show the benefits of public transportation in your community and ones that include customers and personnel. We are looking for photos that show people getting to work, appointments, school, events, or countless other destinations; communities rallying around transit; or the economic benefits with construction and transit-related jobs.
The best photos depict public transportation vehicles in action with the community and transit employees, and are in a variety of common situations for public transportation that depict diverse seasonal conditions and daily connections to important places.
Finally, photos should capture human emotion and make the connection of how people or communities benefit from public transportation.
Be creative and have fun!
The winning photos and transit systems from past Photo Invitationals were featured in a print calendar. You can see examples of winning photos to inform your own submissions.
- Anyone can enter the APTA Photo Invitational. Photos may be submitted either by the individual photographer or by a transit agency or other organization with rights to the photos.
- Photos must have been received by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on Tuesday, November 12, 2019.
- There is no entry fee.
- Each entry on the submission page is limited to 8 photos. Each photo must be just under 5MB. Please make multiple entries to submit more than 8 photos. The same person may make multiple entries.
- Entries must be submitted via the online entry form on apta.com/photo-submit, and photos must be submitted in digital format in high resolution in 300 dpi. Acceptable formats include .jpeg, .jpg, or .png.
- By entering the contest, you are giving the American Public Transportation Association a royalty-free, non-exclusive perpetual worldwide license to use your photos. Photos may be used by APTA in a variety of forms besides the APTA calendar.
Entries with hired actors prominently featured must be accompanied by a signed photo release. A sample release form is provided below. Please include the signed form as an additional attachment to your submission.